Saturday, July 24, 2010

List of DVD Name Possibilities

I have compiled a list of DVD name suggestions. If I have inadvertently left off your suggestion, please let me know. Additionally, if you can think of other possibilities, I will add them to the list.

The Adventures of Zorro
Diego And Victoria: The New Adventures Of Zorro
The Family Channel's New World Zorro
The Family Channel's Zorro
The Family Channel Zorro
His Name Is Zorro
A Man Called Zorro
New World Zorro
The New Zorro
The New Zorro with Duncan Regehr
The New Adventures of Zorro
The New Adventures of Zorro from 1990
The New Adventures of Zorro Starring Duncan Regehr
The Sword of Zorro
The Thrilling Adventures of Zorro
The Wonderful World of Zorro
Zorro
Zorro: Adventures in the New World
Zorro and Victoria: A Love Story
Zorro: A New World
Zorro: The 1990 Family Television Series
Zorro: The 1990 Family Version
Zorro: The 1990 Television Series
Zorro: The 1990 Television Series with Duncan Regehr
Zorro: The 1990 to 1993 Television Series
Zorro: The Complete Collection
ZORRO: For Love and Honor
Zorro: The Family Channel Collection
Zorro: The Family Channel Version
Zorro: The Family Version
Zorro: The Family Version with Duncan Regehr
Zorro: The Legend Begins
Zorro: The Legend Continues
Zorro: Man of Cunning and Steel
Zorro: Man of Science
Zorro: The New Adventures
Zorro: The New World Collection
Zorro: The New World Collection (Family Channel Version)
Zorro The Next Generation

My plan is to create two polls so that you can vote for your favorites. I am going to separate the possibilities into two groups for the polls. One group will contain the possibilities which are the ones that Zorro Productions is more likely to choose. The other group will contain the possibilities that Zorro Productions is less likely to choose.

We need to remember the purpose of our suggestions. Zorro Productions wants a name that will distinguish the DVD set from that of the Disney Zorro series. Zorro Productions appears to want to avoid calling the series simply "New World Zorro." So keep that in mind as you consider the possibilities.

I do not feel that a name that is the same as another version of Zorro will be likely to be chosen. This means that a name that is the same as other filmed versions of Zorro, McCulley's Zorro stories, or the names of the Dell and Gold Key Zorro comic books are likely not viable choices.

The name of the series is simply "Zorro," but Zorro Productions wants a better name for the DVD set. I feel that the name should be something that is easily recognizable and makes people think of this specific version, especially people who have not visited Zorro websites. You might think that all people who would be interested in this series have visited the Zorro websites, but I can tell you from my experience in another area of interest that a large percentage of people interested in any specific topic have never visited informational sites concerning that topic. It is surprising but true.

I also want to admit for the very first time that I have never deep in my heart thought of this series as the New World Zorro version. At the time that I created my site, it was apparent that most people on the internet called it that for some reason that I do not quite understand. Actually, I do know that it is because of New World Television, but the series always was and still is the Family Channel Zorro to me. I did not name my site that since that did not appear to be the trend on the web. It has never sounded quite right to me. For that reason, I can understand why Zorro Productions is concerned about calling the series the New World Zorro.

I will be using these criteria as I separate the names into more likely and less likely to be chosen. If your suggestion ends up in the less likely group, it is for one of the above reasons and is nothing personal. I also believe I am limited in the number of selections to a poll, so I have to do more than one poll anyway. When I create the polls, I will allow you to make more than one choice so that you can indicate which ones you like better.

If you want to begin discussing what you think of the possibilities (some of you already have on the original post), feel free to do so. We have had a surprisingly low response from the New World Zorro group, and the respondents in this blog seem to be more interested. I allow anonymous comments to this blog, but I would appreciate it if you would enter your first name, last name, initials, or at least something so that I can tell how many people are discussing this topic.

17 comments:

Danny said...

I like all of the suggestions, as they're in sync with what the series is: a family-friendly version of Zorro. I've alos begun to re-think my idea for a series finale to this show. Instead of it being a 2 part half hour finale, it should be a 2 hour series finale. I've got another idea, but I won't be able to write it, as I'm due back in school at the end of next month. But it should be called something that signifies that this is to be the end of the series.

Danny said...

I also think that all the episodes should be presented in anamorphic widescreen on the DVD.

Danny said...

another good idea would be the television promos for each episode. also, I read on Wikipedia that the VHS versions of the four part storylines showing how Don Diego became Zorro & the episodes with Risendo have one scene each that didn't make it in the network airing. If it's true, it would be a wonderful idea for those scenes to be included seamlessly into the episodes. Also, commentary from Mr. Gertz, the stars & the writers would be a good idea, in addition to how the idea for the series began (in the form of a documentary, or something). plus, showing how they filmed the episodes and for which scenes Mr. Regehr was doubled. also, cast and crew reflecting on the show via new and archival interviews.

Anonymous said...

The series did not air until 1993, it ended in december 1992. For some reason a lot of people thinks it went on until 1993. Look it up anywhere and you will see it for yourself - IMDB would be a good place.

Jennifer White said...

I always say 1993 because it continued to air in reruns, and I did not realize until the following fall season that the series was over. I am aware that the final episode aired in 1992. So, technically, we should say 1990 to 1992.

Jennifer White said...

If all of you posting anonymously could please identify yourselves with some initials or something at the end of your comments as requested, I would really appreciate it. I have no idea whether we have just one or two anonymous people here or whether we have a dozen of them. The alternative is for me to make you sign up for a Google account in order to post a comment, and that will cause many people to not give their opinions.

Danny said...

This version of Zorro will always be the best one, in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

I like the name "The Family Channel's Zorro". I think that putting a picture of Duncan Regehr as Zorro & Patrice Martinez as Victoria would get the message across as to what Zorro series the consumer would be purchasing.

BTW - the series began airing 5 January 1990 with the episode "Dead Men Tell No Tales" and the final new episode of the series "The Discovery" aired 30 January 1993. I kept track of every episode and its airdate from about the middle of the first season. I have seen other sources listing air dates and episode order but those are incorrect. I lived and breathed this series when it first aired, never missing an episode (even the repeats). I know my infomation is correct because I actually watched and took notes, instead of some lackey giving out some press info from a network executive who didn't know or care. Pam

Anonymous said...

I just went onto imdb and it listed the final 4 episodes of the series as being aired the 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th of January 1993. Those dates correspond with my information. I don't know where the idea that the series ended in December 1992 came from. Maybe filming ended then? All I know is that I watched final 4 new episodes in January 1993. To me that is when the series ended. Pam

Danny said...

it's a shame that the series ended on a cliffhanger, but they can still do a series finale now (only thast it's gotta be 2 hours long, and be well written).

Jennifer White said...

Anonymous said:

The series did not air until 1993, it ended in december 1992. For some reason a lot of people thinks it went on until 1993. Look it up anywhere and you will see it for yourself - IMDB would be a good place.

I didn't feel like looking on my site for the information and just responded by agreeing because honestly, I didn't care when the series ended at the moment that I read the comment. The heat has been getting to me lately.

Pam decided to check on it:

I just went onto imdb and it listed the final 4 episodes of the series as being aired the 9th, 16th, 23rd, and 30th of January 1993.

I just went to my own website, which I am certain has the correct information because I also noted the dates when the final season aired.

4th season episode list

Yes, the series did end in 1993 like I have said all along. I'm not sure of all of the sources that say 1992 since I have not been visiting other sites, but my sites have the correct dates of early 1993. The sites that have 1992 are wrong.

Torgon said...

I'm not saying you are wrong, but be careful when using data from IMDB; their information is not always correct. Though I think your dates do seem accurate from what I remember.

Jennifer White said...

I think you may have missed the point of my message since I did not state everything. That would be my fault. I agree that IMDB is not completely accurate and the same for Wikipedia. I am absolutely 100% certain that my dates on newworldzorro.com are correct. I have written a post explaining why, and I need to publish it.

Jennifer White said...

I just searched for sites that have the years as 1990-1992.

RetroJunk.com

TVDuck.com

EpisodeWorld.com

and others.

It looks like many of the sites that cover television series have the wrong years of 1990-1992. They probably got their information from each other.

Upon a cursory glance, it looks like Wikipedia and IMDB are both correct. Did IMDB just get changed? The person who corrected me stated that IMDB was the place to look, and it has the correct years of 1990-1993. The IMDB dates support my information rather than theirs, so I'm not sure why it was used to prove me wrong.

Efrain said...

1. I like the idea of including the extra scenes that may not have made it to the TV broadcasts. Including 2 versions for episodes that have more scenes would be great (each episode could have seamless branching, with an option to watch either the TV broadcast or extended version).

2. I don't like the idea of calling it "New World" because I don't even associate this Zorro with that at all. I watched the show as a kid and I simply remember this as the Zorro that ran on the Family Channel, probably because differentiated TV networks (Nick, Family, MTV, etc...) but not production companies.

3. If the series was shot on film (rather than video), ZPI should remaster the episodes and create HD masters for future use (web streaming, downloading, and possible Blu-ray release). If it was shot on video, well hopefully they can always up-convert them to the best possible quality.

Efrain said...

Thinking about it, I think it would be best just called "Zorro", because that is the name of the show, while having a prominent "As originally seen on The Family Channel" slapped on with a sticker or something (very common on today's DVDs).

This solves the problem of letting people know which Zorro they are getting without changing the name of the show.

Cynthia said...

I like the idea of having 1990 in the title. That's how I found out about this potential DVD release. I watched the series when I was younger, but don't remember it being on The Family Channel. I just know the general years it aired.